Who in Singapore is required to have a valid work pass?

All foreigners who intend to work in Singapore or is currently already working in Singapore is required to have a valid working visa or work pass. If you are an employer engaging foreigners to work in Singapore, you must ensure that they hold a valid pass. Find out which pass is suitable, whether they are eligible, and how to apply.

The information below on the various types of passes available is provided by the Ministry of Manpower. Click on the respective links to find out more.


 List of passes for pass category
Pass type Who is it for
Employment Pass

For foreign professionals, managers and executives.

Candidates need to earn at least $4,500 ($5,000 for Financial Services Sector) a month and have acceptable qualifications.

EntrePass For eligible foreign entrepreneurs wanting to start and operate a new business in Singapore.
Personalised Employment Pass

For high earning existing Employment Pass holders or overseas foreign professionals.

The PEP offers greater flexibility than an Employment Pass.

Skilled and semi-skilled workers

 List of passes for pass category
Pass type Who is it for
S Pass For mid-level skilled staff. Candidates need to earn at least $2,500 a month and meet the assessment criteria.
Work Permit for foreign worker For semi-skilled foreign workers in the construction, manufacturing, marine, process or services sector.
Work Permit for foreign domestic worker For foreign domestic workers (FDWs) to work in Singapore.
Work Permit for confinement nanny For Malaysian confinement nannies to work in Singapore for up to 16 weeks starting from
the birth of the employer’s child.
Work Permit for performing artiste For foreign performers working in public entertainment outlets such as bars, hotels and nightclubs.

Trainees and students

 List of passes for pass category
Pass type Who is it for
Training Employment Pass For foreign professionals undergoing practical training. Candidates must earn at least $3,000 a month.
Work Holiday Programme For students and graduates aged 18 to 25 who want to work and holiday in Singapore for up to 6 months.
Training Work Permit For semi-skilled foreign trainees or students undergoing practical training in Singapore for up to 6 months.

Family members

List of passes for pass category
Pass type Who is it for
Dependant’s Pass For spouses and children of eligible Employment Pass or S Pass holders.
Long Term Visit Pass For parents, common-law spouses, step-children or handicapped children of eligible Employment Pass or S Pass holders.
Letter of Consent For eligible LTVP/LTVP+ holders and Dependent’s Pass holders who want to work in Singapore.

Exemptions and working while on a visit pass

List of passes for pass category
Pass type Who is it for
Miscellaneous Work Pass For foreigners taking on a short-term work assignment of up to 60 days in Singapore.
Work Pass Exempt Activities For performing eligible short-term activities without a work pass. Candidates must still
notify MOM of their activities.
Work pass exemption for foreign students For foreign students studying full-time at an approved school or institution in Singapore.
Work passes for holders of Long Term
Visit Passes issued by ICA
For foreigners married to a Singaporean or permanent resident, or parents accompanying a child
who is studying in Singapore.

Leave a comment

I accept the Privacy Policy

Open chat